The University of the Third Age
This page is for information that is sent to this U3A branch that may be of interest to the members. Please check out this page periodically.
Charity calls for volunteers to help reduce isolation for older people in Hatfield and Welwyn
"Contact the Elderly" needs volunteer drivers for its tea party group. Please click here for more information.
This is a system to pair up members having unwanted goods with members who have something that they need. Please call Eileen on 01707 273218 with "Offers" and "Needs".
Give and Take
- Safe - 15" x 10"
- Double headboard, wall mounted, wine/purple with matching foot-drape, with one cushion.
- 29 x CDs in a wallet of Mastermind Seminars by Jay Abraham
- 11 books on flower arranging and associated crafts
- 3 books on Calligraphy
- Small card index box – dividers and cards included.
- Office chair with orange upholstery, good condition.
- Dining table (owner thinks it is yew) and 6 chairs (2 carvers). Fire retardant labels on 2 chairs only.
- Projector Screen, collapsible, tripod stand.
- Electric reclining armchair, 2 years old.
- Wool – any type for Oxfam jumpers/ blankets
- Used stamps
- Milk bottle tops (plastic screw type, washed please)
- Unwanted garden tools for Digswell Nursery. They have a revamp service where they sharpen/repair gifted items and send them abroad.
- Lengths of curtain weight material (or curtains) to be made into quilts for women less fortunate than ourselves.
- Plastic garden seat with storage space underneath, preferably with a back.
- Small fruit cage - netting (any size)
- 6' & 4' canes
- Wooden planks for raised beds
- Under-counter fridge for outhouse
- Old style bicycle to be modified for garden feature. The older the better, rust welcome. Sit-up-and-beg preferred. Collection.
Would like to borrow
General U3A notices
Free Books Hatfield, a local not-for-profit charity, is looking for volunteers to help run their bookshop in the Hatfield Galleria. They give out free books to members of the public with the aim of saving unwanted books from landfill, and promoting education and literacy. They try not to throw any books away and have an enormous range of books including academic text books, local history, maps, cookery, travel, novels and children's literature.
If you'd like to help please contact Lynne Paul (email@example.com) or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Do you know someone who is blind or visually impaired? That would like to hear what's going on in the local area?
WHATnews! is a local charity run by volunteers. We record excerpts from the Welwyn & Hatfield Times onto CD, and deliver them to your door for free.
Please call either Robert on 07710 177 271, or Hilary on 07960 865 660
Further information at http://www.whatnews.org.uk
If you're a man, 65 or older, you can get a scan to see if you have an "Abdominal Aortic Aneurism" (an enlargement of the main blood vessel in the abdomen which, if left untreated, can be fatal). The scan is free and painless, and takes about 20 minutes.
Ring the Hertfordshire AAA Screening office on 01727 897719 to get an appointment. You can also visit "aaa.screening.nhs.uk" for more information.
Small Ads (WelHat U3A members only!)
Canon Pixma IP7250 Single Function printer available - please contact Hazel Bell on email@example.com.
Video Transfer to DVD Service from £10
Save your video memories, we copy VHS and other videos to digital DVD
The basic price is £10 to transfer any tape to DVD, but if you want it collected and returned to your house there’s a small extra charge. You don’t pay a thing until the work is done.
Having your family videos on a mobile phone or computer could be the perfect present to your children or grandchildren, and don’t forget wedding videos and holidays all on tape but fading away.
MOST TAPES CATERED FOR
VHS - Mini VHS-C - Video8 - Video Hi8 - Digital8 - V8 or DV, Mini DV tape
We are also happy to try and repair your damaged tapes.
For more information please call Valerie on:
Web-site created by Roger Swaine.